Thursday, August 29, 2019

Day 11 Regensburg, Germany. Found a Flat

Joan's View

Cathedral of St. Peter
We slept in because it's a rest day. We decided to do some more laundry since we have a washer in our airbnb. It took quite some doing to figure out this washing machine though. After plugging it in and getting several errors with what seemed like wrong settings, I realized the water was not on. Whew! Now we could leave and explore Regensburg. 


St. Emmeram
We visited the two main churches that we wanted to see, Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Emmeram. We stayed at the Cathedral to hear the noon meditations and organ music. The Cathedral was huge, and St. Emmeram was amazingly ornate. There is so much history in just a small location. Leaving there, we strolled through the old streets and just enjoyed the German architecture. This one shopping street was especially cute because of the pennants that hung across the road between the buildings. Unfortunately, there is no shopping here for me though since more weight means more to haul. I'm waiting for Budapest to find some bargains. 😊

We stopped for my second taste of apple strudel so far, while Tony enjoyed ice cream and beer. From there we headed back to our place to unload the washer so that it can hopefully dry before we leave (there is no dryer here). 



We started out walking again, this time to find a grocery store. 





Along the way, we saw this beer truck parked near a restaurant refilling their beer like a gas truck refills a gas station. I guess that speaks volumes about the amount of beer consumed here. Tony first thought it was a milk truck because the driver threw out a bucket of what looked like milk, but it was really beer foam. Maybe the goat checking out the vat made him think milk, or maybe he's had too much beer.

After walking for about 20 minutes, we realized that the grocery store we were looking for, per google, is no longer there, so rather than continue on in the summer heat, we headed back to find food elsewhere. On the way, of course, Tony spotted a beverage store and got to explore the German world of buying local beer from the containers. Two locals there wanted to help Tony with his decision on which beer to get. One guy showed him what he said is the best beer in the world, but a lady was kind of arguing saying that this other dark beer is the best. Maybe Tony will share his taste results. 
Taking a break after some bike cleaning.
From there, we found a bakery. Tony bought a nice round loaf of brown bread, and I got some ham salad. Tony carried our goodies in his backpack to our place. We ate and I took a nap while Tony cleaned and worked on the bike. When I awoke, Tony said that he discovered that our tandem has a flat. He has no idea how long it's been like that since it's such a small hole.







We ate dinner at Spitalgarten, which is the oldest brewery in Regensburg. I had a hearty dose of strong horseradish on my boiled beef. Very interesting!



Tony's Extras

I oiled the chains well since we are riding in so much gravel. The dust from the gravel really affects the bicycle. Not sure what caused the flat but thank goodness I could change it in our room instead of the heat during the ride. As far as which beer was better, they were both good. All beers in Germany have a similar flavor. Besides both beers, I got a bottle of wine all for 5 Euros. What a deal and I feel pretty good writing this, LOL. 

I really like the Church St. Emmeram. It was my favorite so far. The picture to the right was of Mary breastfeeding Jesus. It just reminded me that he was fully human and still divine. It also reminds me of the connection the Virgin Mary had with Jesus.

This picture to the right shows statues of the Garden of Gethsemane. It depicts Jesus asking the Father to take this 4th and final cup away. It also shows the other 3 Apostles, completely asleep, not being able to stay awake. 

The picture below reminded me of Jane Ulrich, not Gerry Ulrich, from back in Sidney. LOL. I sent this picture to the two of them and it made the trip even more special. You see Gerry and Jane are friends of ours, and I coached their son, Matt, in soccer. He thought I was a good coach even though his parents came from Germany. At least, he was nice enough to say that. Gerry replied to our text saying "You are in an awesome part of the country. My Mother grew up near the Donau (Danube, you see he speaks German). She spent a lot of time swimming there. She's from a small village called Moos. I spent a lot of time in that area and love it. I have a lot of relatives in that area from Donau to Munich to Starnberg to Ingolstadt. Actually, I am planning to go back to Germany next summer for another family reunion." I am so glad we texted the Ulrichs about our blog. The Ulrich's are great people and the people we ran into along the way yesterday were probably related to them. 

Once last thing, when you have to hook a fire hose to a building to fill up with beer, you might have a beer issue. It's much more efficient though than hauling kegs, something Yellow Springs Brewery might take into consideration with their Strategic Plan. See I am thinking strategically for you when I am in Germany drinking beer. Aileron would be proud! 😀👍

2 comments:

  1. The beer truck certainly would be efficient, wouldn't it?! And it would definitely change our strategic plan more than a little! :) Cheers to you and keep the ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m assuming your B & B’s have been good! Another amazing church!

    ReplyDelete