Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Ride to Spring Break 1984 Location

Tony's View

Well, today was the last day for a while that the wind will be coming from the south. It was coming at us at 24mph with gusts of 35mph. We started out very early this morning at 6:45am to try to get a good start on the day. It seem to pay off for us since we got in and avoided the thunderstorms. We went 57 miles averaging 11.1mph. Not bad with the wind we had. I think the fairing or windshield was beneficial in cutting through the wind. I stayed well hydrated and fed today which really didn't make the ride too bad. We went through many beach cities along the way today, making it entertaining.
When we went to cross a 2 lane draw bridge, there was this sign shown in the picture to the right saying bicycles may use full lane. We did use the full lane going around 8 mph and amazingly the cars behind us were reasonable. The picture to the left is the restaurant we went to for lunch. It was nice that we could sit outside and watch the tandem. It was a bar and grill called Kahuna.  They had about fifteen different types of tacos, none that were typical. We were very happy with this choice. When we arrived in Fort Lauderdale, we saw several motels that could of been where my friends and I stayed in 1984. It was beat up back then, so who knows if it is still here. Our motel is very nice again, really more like an apartment. We jumped in the pool as soon as we got here.  It was cold for me, so that means it was freezing for Joan. Looking forward to a day off, even if the prevailing winds tomorrow will be from the north which would be at our back.

After eating dinner at another Mexican restaurant, we stopped at Yo Mama's ice cream.  I got a dip of strawberry. Ken is definitely right, ice cream is better than pop tarts.















Joan's Side Notes

My stats are:  We rode over 7 bridges today, 3 were drawbridges of which Tony walked the bike on one.  In addition, only 1 of the 7 bridges had a bike lane.  Freaky!
I also did a small psychology study today.  There were lots of walkers and runners out in the morning hours as we pedaled through Palm Beach so to pass the time while we battled the wind, I decided to see how many people I could get to respond when I said, "Good Morning."  I am pleased to announce that it was probably around a 90% positive response. Marla (who is studying for a psychology minor and works in the psych lab at UF), you would be proud of me!


No comments:

Post a Comment