Monday, February 22, 2016

Windy way to Fort Pierce

Tony's View

55 miles into 15mph winds with a humid 80 degrees explains the day. It wore me out.  We had to stop several times for me to rest.  I was sweating like crazy. The stats for the day go like this: 4 hours of riding and 2 hours of resting, averaging 13.5mph.  It sure was fun though. Exhaustion is a good thing when it is over.  It just takes some rest to get over it.
Well, the day started out with me going through the small arch at the hotel from our 2 days stay. 
We rode through some neighborhoods for about five miles then made a turn onto A1A.  Garmin then displayed the next turn in 42.5 miles. Pretty much the whole distance had a bike path off the road to the right and also a bike lane on the road. We went back and forth between the two. Mostly private complexes the whole distance with few commercial establishments.


We stopped at a State Park called Sebastian Inlet.
Joan found a Tide Pool to wade in, and it would of been a good place to chill out all day. I was just relaxing on the picnic table while watching Joan in the Tide Pool. You can see our tandem in the background.








When we were relaxing at the state park we got to watch 4 pelicans fly and dive into the water for fish. They would come up with a fish and swallow it. It was fun to watch them go one after another.
We finally found one restaurant called Johnny D's, along the long stretch of 1A1, and I was starving. They had gelato ice cream. Yea! It was nice that they also had outside seating.  We could watch the bike again while eating.
















We stopped for a break in the shade about 4 miles from the end because I was exhausted. I sat down and the buzzards started flying around us as you can see in the picture. They were betting that I wouldn't make it.  The way I felt at that time, I was betting with them. After sitting there awhile I got up and looked around and found this old survey marker. I pointed at it just in case some of you surveyors at Choice One don't know what one looks like. When we finally got to the hotel, I jumped in the cool pool and it brought my body temperature down, it was very relieving. We ate at Dave's Diner tonight, and it kind of reminded me of a Waffle House. I even had pancakes for dinner. The hotel is called Dock Side, and our room is like an apartment again.  Very convenient for parking the tandem inside. Tomorrow's forecast is hot and winding, and, yes, head winds. Good calorie burn day.


Joan's Side Note

Ugh.  Wind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment