Friday, July 14, 2017

DEERE AND LAKEVIEW

Tony's View


 I got up at 4:00 this morning and checked the weather and it looked like rain would start at noon. Therefore, I went back to sleep until breakfast opened at 6:00. I quietly got up and snuck out of the room for a cinnamon roll and cup of coffee and let Joan sleep. I saw a couple praying together before they ate their breakfast and told them how cool I thought that was. They noticed my UF shirt and said they were from Tiffin, Ohio. I noticed their John Deere shirts. Their names were Gene and Barb Goshe. They were in town for a John Deere 2-cycle show. We started talking and before you knew it, we covered a lot of territory, and it was an hour later. Yes, we talked about Jeff Puthoff and I thought Jeff would really fit in with these guys until I saw the back of Gene's shirt. Jeff would need to change Chevy to Ford. Jeff, they told me Deere and Chevy go better together. They have 5 children and 11 Chevy pickup trucks.
This got Joan and I thinking on our bicycle ride today; how people are either completely dedicated to green or red tractors or Chevy or Ford. They are so die hard that they wear their shirts like some people wear sports team shirts. Harley Davidson is the same way. Do you wear Browns or Bengals, Deere or Case, or Ford or Chevy? Either way, what dedication. I know it's a little deep, but when you are riding down these country roads, you get off on tangents. Joan then said how do you get such great brands that people wear your gear and will start an argument over it. Now, I had her thinking like she works at Aileron. Matt this is something for you to accomplish at Choice One.

By the way, the sign we saw below and to the right while traveling the back roads is not the kind of brand we were thinking, but, hey, it's a free country.  At least, it didn't say Tom's Lawn and Landscape.
We got to the next lake over called Seneca Lake and it was much bigger. The views were fantastic though. I had to stop and eat cherries in the shade and enjoy the view. I got the cool Choice One Jersey from Wade. Interestingly, when I was sitting there it seemed eerily similar to me, like I have been there before.


It came to me, Fran, Wade and I got off the route 7 years ago and rode along the top of this lake. I did the same thing again, must have been my idea. Funny thing is I remembered how pot holed and bumpy the trail was and if you take it the whole way it dead ends into a private boat marina. I told Joan that so we had to go check it out. My memory might be bad, but I can remember chuck holes. I know what a civil engineer geek. SAD.



 Joan went ahead with the bike so I could get a picture of the trail to show Wade. Yes, you can see the crappy condition of the trail with potholes and bumps. Of course, Joan found some dogs to pet when she was up there. The guy with the dog was named Richard Massa and he is Italian. Richard has a pizza place called Richard's Pizza, which is next door to the hotel we are staying at Monday night. He said he would try to get a gluten free crust for Joan. What a small world.
We got further down the trail and Joan needed a nap in the tree. The kid was already hanging out in the tree, so we went down to the Marina and turned around and he was still there. Joan decided to share. He had a Michigan shirt on, so I was feeling sorry for him. He must be as sad as Tyler and Mitch Thobe. At least he wasn't a sad Browns fan.

We left Seneca Lake and headed to Waterloo. We are staying at a Bed and Breakfast called the Gridley Inn. It is a really nice place. In fact, I wrote this sitting on the front porch. We got an additional treat; they had Open Mic on the front porch where locals came and sang songs and read poems. 

Joan's View



The advantage of a bed and breakfast is how you get to experience the lifestyle of the locals and meet some fascinating people. OK, getting to live with Carol & Clyde in China was truly experiencing the lifestyle. but hanging out on a porch in Waterloo, NY is pretty neat. The decor of a bed and breakfast is always interesting too, and so is the story behind the owners. Of course, they are all pretty laid back which leads to this picture of laid-back Tony enjoying this porch. 


No comments:

Post a Comment