Monday, August 17, 2026

Day 3 - Copenhagen, Denmark, Bags Deployed~

Joan's View

Tony on Fedex watch
The bags to be shipped to Vienna were packed and set outside by 9:00am for pickup. Fed ex was expected anytime before 1:00 or 5:00 depending on the source. Tony spent the morning assembling the rest of the tandem, test riding it, and then went outside a little before 1:00 to be a scarecrow. Ironically, close to 1:00, I went to check on him and he decided that he needed a beer. He went in while I stood guard, and just then the Fedex driver turned the corner and parked on the sidewalk to pickup our bags. 

Fedex loading our bags









We were free again. We metro-ed it to Our Saviour's Church based on another Kaye suggestion. The tickets to hike the steeple were sold out so we checked out the inside of the church. It was pretty cool how the elephants hold up the pipe organs.


Kaye said that the views were great up there. 😁









On our Metro ride to the Torvehallerne, a farmer's market area, we met this couple from New Castle, England. I asked him if his injuries were from the biking or running yesterday during the Iron Man. He said it was from the biking. He was coming in fast to the transition and was looking for flags overhead. Instead there were 2 guys waving flags and a crowd of cyclists in front of him. He slammed on his brakes and went down. He gashed his left arm to the bone and beat up his legs. We asked him if he finished and he said, "Of Course!" They patched him enough and told him that he would have to assume responsibility if he went on. He finished in 13 hours 28 minutes and 50 seconds, and went to the hospital after finishing to get stitched up. That 's an Ironman!




Name that beautiful fish from the fish market, Bud, Nick or other fishermen???





Tony wears his Notre Dame hat and look what we find!







Finally, we found this amazing Chinese place, Mywok. Pad Thai for me, free shrimp chips (Tisha will appreciate that one), and my new favorite drink, Faxe Kondl.


Tomorrow, we ride!


Tony's Extras

Yea, the bags were finally picked up. The folks at Choice One knew I was extremely worried about whether the driver would actually take them. They told me the bags needed to be in a cardboard box, but the shipping company said it was fine without one — “but it’s up to the driver.” Great. Nothing like leaving your sanity in the hands of a random guy with a van. I think it helped with Joan being out there, probably felt sorry for her.

Of course, I had a backup plan… and a backup to the backup plan. Didn’t need either, but I explained all of them to everyone at Choice One anyway. By the time I showed up there for the third day in a row, I told them I’d woken up at 3:00 a.m. just to call my backups and make sure they were still on board. Yea again.

By the way, Doug Borchers — I have great patience. I just don’t like to use it. 😂

I saw this sign and had to get a picture, such a great point.


It was a blast talking with the injured Ironman. He had just retired and said doing an Ironman was something he’d always wanted to check off the list — but he needed retirement to free up the 25+ hours a week to train. I’m sure that’s exactly what most people dream of doing the moment they retire. I’m also sure my recently retired friends, Dan Ernst and Eric Huth, will jump right on that plan. 

Ready to ride tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Well darn on climbing the spire. Trust me it was terrifying and amazing! ~KMB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a day! The church is beautiful! Meal looks delicious. Of course he finished the Ironman!

    ReplyDelete