Day 8 - Berlin, Germany, Were in Berlin
Tony's View
We headed out today for another round of bumpy trails. As I mentioned in the last blog, we had a planned route of 62 miles. What I forgot to factor in was actually getting to the start of the route, which somehow added an extra 2.5 miles of "surprise adventure." I'm still not entirely sure how that happened.
Once we got rolling, we ran into another mechanical challenge. One of the chain guide rollers broke. To be fair, one had already broken the day before, and I managed to shuffle parts around and make it work. This time, though, I wasn't so lucky. I had to realign the chain and improvise a fix just to keep moving.
The top picture shows my "engineering masterpiece" from yesterday. The roller is supposed to have four knobs, but ours was running on only three. The bottom picture shows another roller hanging on with just a single knob on one side. These aren't parts you can pick up at the local hardware store or bicycle shop. They're rather unusual pieces that have to be specially ordered. Apparently, they're rare enough that breaking them is easier than finding replacements, according to the bicycle shop we stopped at!
If some of you remember, I stripped the tandem down to its bare bones and rebuilt it with almost all new parts. After 17+ years and more than 20,000 miles, it was definitely time. I replaced everything except three items: the chain guide rollers, the derailleur hangers, and the front wheel. Well, of those three holdouts, the chain guide rollers are now breaking, and the derailleur hangers are bending. The front wheel, however, is still hanging in there like a champ.
So I guess 2 out of 3 is bad. So much for Meatloaf fans. π
Any guesses what's going to be at the top of the replacement list when we get back home? The chain guide rollers and derailleur hangers have clearly decided they want some attention too! π΄♂️π§
Yep, it's a deer stand on wheels!
I'm not entirely sure what the intended purpose is, but my first thought was, "Just add a motor and chase the deer instead." ππ
I have to admit, after seeing countless deer stands during this trip, this one easily wins the award for the most creative design. π΄♂️π¦π
I never used to pay much attention to deer stands. They were just another thing along the side of the road. But thanks to our son-in-law, Nick Balog, I notice them everywhere now. It's kind of like buying a new car and suddenly seeing the same model on every road. Once Nick got me looking for deer stands, I realized they're absolutely everywhere—and apparently some of them even come with wheels! ππ
Well, after Joan took the picture, I looked at it and noticed something we hadn't seen at first. Let's just say the captain was... taking care of some personal business off the side of the boat. Oops. ππ
Cool boat regardless! π
At that point, we really had no choice. I'm pretty sure it's German law that cyclists must stop at any Biergarten they encounter. πΊ
I briefly considered riding past it, but didn't want to risk an international incident. So, being the law-abiding travelers that we are, we pulled in, took a well-deserved break, and enjoyed the moment.
Eighteen miles left to go is much easier to think about when you're sitting in a Biergarten instead of pedaling toward it. π
I'd also like to offer a strong advice for anyone who hasn't done a bike tour like this before. If you're 18 miles from your Airbnb, decide to stop at a Biergarten, and then order a large beer—especially when you're no longer 25 years old—the math is very simple:
1 large beer = 2 pee breaks before you get to your destination. ππΊπ΄♂️
I tested this formula extensively and can confirm the results are highly repeatable. The good news is that the extra stops give you more opportunities to admire the scenery. The bad news is that you're not stopping to admire the scenery. ππ
When I arrived, Mom, Dad, and their young daughters were sitting on a bench in front of the shop. The mom smiled and said, "Here's the mechanic," as she pointed to her husband. We talked for a while, and then he went inside to see if he could find or order one of those chain guide rollers. He admitted he'd never seen anything quite like it before. While he was searching, I ended up making friends with his wife and daughters. We chatted and passed the time while hoping for some good news from the shop. Unfortunately, after digging around, he couldn't find anything that would help with my unusual repair. But then something much better happened. His daughters came out and presented me with this beautiful picture they had drawn for me. It was completely unexpected and absolutely precious.
Sometimes the best part of traveling isn't fixing the bike—it's meeting kind people along the way. ❤️π
Joan's Extras
The wind was kind to us today. We have been biking into some fairly strong headwinds since we started this trip, but today was a much appreciated break. We noticed the wind today though when these long hanging greeneries coming into Berlin blew into our faces and gave us a big shove. Still trying to figure out what plant hit us.
Lastly, Matt, you will be happy to hear that Tony has learned enough German that he is reading signs here too now. π
“Just add a motor and chase the deer instead” ππ€£ I’m cracking up visualizing Mick doing that π€£
ReplyDeleteWe’ll when you gotta go… you gotta go.
ReplyDelete