Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Day 5 - Gedser, Denmark - Should I Stay or Should I Go Now?

Joan's View

Me blogging or whatever
We had to make an early decision like in that great 80s song from the Clash, "Should I Stay or Should I Go Now." If we left early, we might have to find shelter until we could get into the next Airbnb. If we stay, we would have to leave late. Our ride is about 32 miles today so my vote was to do the "Alone" strategy and keep the shelter that we already have. Tony thinks about having to clean the bike so I guess that strategy worked for him too. Heidi, our Airbnb host, gave us clearance to hang out in Vordingborg until the rain passes.Tony finally made the decision to leave around 3:15 after checking about 5 different weather forecasting sites. Heidi says that the only reliable weather app is the one from Norway. Tony jumped right on that.




Tony also researched where to stop to eat about 16 miles in and picked this Mexican place called Ozzy's based on the awning so that we could park the tandem there in case of rain. Turns out the food was amazing! Our airbnb is out in the country tonight, but close to the port in Gedser so that we can get on the ferry to Rostock, Germany early. 

Enjoying the view from Ozzy's

Loaded nachos and tacos











We are seeing lots more long distance riders since we left Copenhagen. It's one of the cool parts about riding here seeing the other bike geeks that live out of small panniers like us. 

Note the ominous clouds. Another super long bridge, but shorter than the 7 mile bridge to Key West, and it felt a lot safer. Tony might still flip over the edge, but the guard rail would protect me. 😁

One more pit stop before heading out to tonight's Airbnb.


Tony's Extras

We made it dry, which already puts this trip in the "success" column. Then we checked Ito the Airbnb and learned there's no Wi‑Fi, when I booked it I kinda missed that one. Oops

Fortunately, I listened to Joan and didn't leave until 3:30 p.m. Patience paid off this time.

Now, before anyone gets the idea that I've become a patient person, let's not jump to conclusions. One correct decision does not establish a trend. However, maybe I will make a habit out of listening to Joan and again, maybe not.

4 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog. Sounds like an interesting and beautiful trip. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are on the trip with us, we had so many wonderful GOBAs together with our families

      Delete
  2. I love your blog. I also love how Tony is always thinking about the bike 😛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bicycle gets us everywhere and without fit we are in trouble. Therefore that gives me an excuse to keep it fine tuned

      Delete